Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Interview with Derrolyn Anderson

Hey guys!

Today, I have an interview with the amazing Derrolyn Anderson! For those of you who don't know her, she is the author of the series Marina's Tales and The Athena Effect. Anyways enjoy! There's an author bio in there for those who don't know her.

Interview:


1. When did you first start writing?
I wrote the first book of my Marina's Tales series over the summer of 2010. Before that, I'd only written essays for school and a few contests (i won concert tickets and an elliptical trainer, LOL). I don't know what possessed me to think I could write an actual book, but it poured right out of me fully formed, and I've been hooked on writing ever since.

2. When & how did you decide that you wanted to try publishing a book?
When I finished book #1I wasn't sure how to go about anything. I started by writing a synopsis and querying literary agents. I got dozens of rejection letters and one request for a partial that went nowhere. It was so demoralizing! Finally, my husband talked me into trying my hand at self-publishing and it's been the best move I ever made. Now the only querying I do is asking book bloggers for reviews.

3. Who is your role model?
Successful indie authors like J.A. Konrath and Amanda Hocking.

4. Where do you find your inspiration for both your books and art?
I've always drawn and painted, and I'm inspired by animals, landscapes & other people's artwork. I've started posting a book-themed painting in my Goodreads status every day in an attempt to marry the two disciplines. I read somewhere that artists make good writers because they can visualize things...That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

5. Do you ever plan on turning your books into movies?
That's not really my area of expertise, but if anyone out there would like to make me an offer…

6. How about turning them into graphic novels?
I'm not much of a cartoonist, but my youngest daughter is very good, so you never know!

7. Who is your favorite author & book?
I know that this is a cop out, but I'd have to say whatever I'm currently caught up in. I'll read all kinds of books, as long as they hold my attention.

8. Do you have a friend/family member who really inspires & encourages you to do things? Someone who just helps you get through things more than others?
My husband, for sure. He's always been very supportive of my writing. My frank and honest sister-in-law is an awesome beta reader and cheerleader as well!

9. Do you have a special playlist that you listen to while writing and painting?
Yes I do, and it consists almost entirely of love songs :)

10. Lastly do you have any words of inspiration and advice for the readers who want to become a writer?
Just write. Have someone you trust give you their honest opinion, and don't let the nay-sayers discourage you. Putting your writing aside for a few weeks and coming back to it with fresh eyes helps a lot too. Above all, if it makes you happy… JUST DO IT!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Author Bio:

I'm a visual artist and writer of the four part "Marina's Tales" series, the YA/NA romantic suspense, "The Athena Effect" and its sequel, "The Mackenzie Legacy". I'm currently hard at work on books #3 & #4 in the Athena series.

Connect:


~Sammy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...